EDWARDS BLOCK NEARING COMPLETION
"Much activity has been the order of the day on the Edwards Block, formerly the Gill Block, for the past several weeks. It will be recalled that in the fall of 1932 Mr. Edwards, who several years ago purchased the property from the Gill estate, had the two stores moved to the west side of the lot and owing to the cold weather was forced to discontinue operations until more favorable weather."
"During the past several weeks, however, the corner has undergone a transformation and under the capable craftsmanship of Mr. E. Ouilette, a super gas filling station has been erected. The station is a substantial structure of attractive design. It adjoins the Hub Cigar Store, which in turns adjoins the C. C. Colpman drug store. All are under one roof. The entire block is stuccoed and will be white with bright trimmings. The filling station has been leased to the Pincher Creek Motors and extensive equipment is being installed. The station has been wired for brilliant electric lighting and will add greatly to the appearance of the property which is situated on the corner of Bridge Avenue and Main Street."
Editor’s Note: The Gill Block was constructed in the early 1900s at the northwest corner of Main Street and Bridge Avenue, and for three decades adeptly housed a number of businesses at this prime location. Following Mr. Gill’s passing, the structure was purchased by a Mr. Edwards who extensively revamped it during the 1932 – 1933 construction season. The new and improved building remained a Pincher Creek landmark for another forty-five years. Its initial occupants during the 1930s were on the corner a local garage known as Pincher Creek Motors, and the Hub Cigar Store, a small confectionary business whose history is enumerated elsewhere in this volume, and the C. C. Colpman Drug Store.
– Farley Wuth,Curator,
Kootenai Brown Pioneer Village
Copyright, Pincher Creek & District Historical Society