Pincher Creek Business
Stories from the Kootenai Brown Pioneer Village Archives
FURTHER INSIGHTS INTO PINCHER CREEK’S EARLIEST COMMERCIAL HERITAGE
Many intriguing, yet partially forgotten local businesses from the pages of Pincher Creek’s history date to the 1880s.
HALF FORGOTTEN OLD BUSINESSES FROM 1900
The commercial history of Pincher Creek is dotted with the activities of many intriguing businesses whose memory has fallen by the wayside.
CHRONICLES OF THE WHITE HALL STORE AND THE L. H. ALLISON AND COMPANY
Pincher Creek’s commercial history abounds with stories of individual businesses like the long-time grocery store popularly known first as the White Hall Store, and later as the L. H. Allison and Company.
MORE THAN A CENTURY OF SERVICE: THE FRONTIER HERITAGE OF THE UNION AND ROYAL BANK
From stable to sandstone to ATMs, banking has been offered at the corner of Main and East in Pincher Creek for 132 years and counting.
A WALK DOWN MEMORY LANE: LOOKING BACK AT THOSE LITTLE KNOWN BUSINESSES
In spite of the poor economic growth of the Great Depression, Pincher Creek remained the commercial centre for local agriculture. A few new businesses indeed blossomed during the 1930s.
LESSER REMEMBERED HISTORIC BUSINESSES FROM 1927
Highlighted here are some of the bygone Pincher Creek commercial outlets from 1927.
THOSE HALF-FORGOTTEN BUSINESSES FROM 1917
This look back at 1917 highlights a few of the lesser known Pincher Creek businesses from the era of the First World War.
A HISTORY OF THE HUDSON’S BAY COMPANY IN PINCHER CREEK
Perhaps the earliest national department store to operate in Pincher Creek was that of the Hudson’s Bay Company. One of the oldest companies in Canada, its local history in town dates back to 1886 and spanned more than a quarter century of frontier chronicles.
EDWARDS BLOCK NEARING COMPLETION
Adapted from “Edwards Block Nearing Completion”, The Pincher Creek Echo, Vol. XXXIII, No. 40, Thursday, 04th May 1933, p. 8.
CHRONICLES FROM THE ERA OF FRONTIER COMMERCE:
T. LEBEL AND COMPANY – PINCHER CREEK’S INDEPENDENT DEPARTMENT STORE
The T. Lebel and Company was in business for an impressive forty years spanning from 1884 to 1924.
It's impressive sandstone building, constructed in 1904, remains an important physical landmark in Pincher Creek’s downtown core.
THE GENERAL STORE
The General Store Exhibit at KBPV reflects Pincher Creek's commercial heritage, long before the Big Box stores of today.
JACKSON BROS. - RE-ORGANIZATION OF PIONEER HARDWARE FIRM (1946)
For over eighty years Jackson Bros. served as Pincher Creek’s premiere hardware store. This 1946 article, in the Pincher Creek Echo, highlights the store’s history, the changes which it faced and brief biographies of the new partners.
JACKSON BROS. CELEBRATE FIFTIETH ANNIVERSARY IN PINCHER CREEK (1956)
A Step Back Into Pincher Creek’s Commercial History
A HISTORY OF THE FRASER-MCROBERTS DEPARTMENT STORE, Part 2
Continuing our history of the pioneer Fraser-McRoberts Department Store located at the southeast corner of Main Street and Police Avenue.
A HISTORY OF THE FRASER-MCROBERTS DEPARTMENT STORE, Part 1
The Fraser-McRoberts Department Store filled a significant void in Pincher Creek's business district following the First World War
KING EDWARD HOTEL
The King Edward Hotel has been a landmark on Pincher Creek’s Main Street for over a century. Its history speaks of the settlement’s frontier heritage. It's loss by fire in 2020 has proven to be devastating to the town's profile.
TALES OF THE CADILLAC CAFÉ
In terms of its name and marketing, the Cadillac Café reflected the best of both worlds, in serving the much appreciated traditions of a small town business.
THE BUNNY BAR
With post-war prosperity and the baby-boom came more reliable cars, better roads, and a new form of food industry
FRONTIER CHRONICLES OF THE BLACKSMITH SHOP
Blacksmith shops were important commercial, repair and social outlets on the Canadian Prairie during the late 1800s and early 1900s.
A MULTI-FACETED RURAL COMMERCIAL HISTORY: A BRIEF CHRONOLOGY OF THE BANK OF COMMERCE AND TURCOTT BUILDING
More than a century old, the Pincher Creek Bank of Commerce, also known in the community as the Turcott building, offers a unique history in local commercial development.
CHRONICLES OF A COUPLE OF PINCHER CREEK’S HISTORICAL BAKERIES
This article takes a look at two local bakeries which contributed to our business history.
FRONTIER CHRONICLES OF THE ARLINGTON HOTEL
The Arlington witnessed more than half a century of continuous service in Pincher Creek.
Harvey Bossenberry may not have been the earliest pioneer in Pincher Creek yet in the four decades that he resided in our community he made a definite impact.